PAM Rehabilitation Hospital of Round
office support for the facility, serving as the lead support
person. Manages referral, intake, verification, pre-certification,
and admissions processes; conducts or arranges for facility tours.
Makes recommendations to the Admissions Manager regarding hiring
and performance management of staff, where applicable. Serves as a
back-up to the Admissions Manager. Performs other related duties as
• Serves as lead
support person for the Admissions Department. Makes recommendations
to management re: hiring and performance
management of staff, where applicable. Orients new intake
specialists upon hire and meets ongoing training needs of the
• Ensures that all aspects of the admissions process (i.e.,
signing, verification, pre-certification, facility tour, and
signature on release and consent
forms, etc.) are completed in an efficient and courteous
• Upon receipt of a referral: Collects referral demographics to
include referral source, call-back number, patient name,
hospital/room number, diagnosis, insurance coverage, anticipated
discharge date and time, referring physician.
• Contacts Clinical Liaison with referral information.
• Follows-up and documents all referrals within one hour of receipt
or as soon as possible.
• Ensures that each referral is accurately documented.
• Logs in all referrals/inquires on the daily log. Gathers data
from referral source/patient and initiates intake form.
• Verifies insurance benefits. Follows Verification of Benefits
Policy & Procedure. In case of unfunded or under-funded clients,
follows the Charity Care Policy & Procedure. Obtains
pre-certification when necessary.
• Ensures accurate bed board and census maintenance.
• Follows admission process matrix as assigned.
• Verifies that intake
is complete. Copies and distributes intake form and Clinical
Liaison’s pre-admission assessment (patient evaluation)
form for nursing, therapists, case managers, and physicians.
• Updates HMS with information.
• Reviews admission papers with the patient to verify accuracy.
• Copies all insurance cards for business office files.
• Requests signature on proper documents, such as promissory notes,
release of information, etc.
• Distributes admission documents; makes copies of admissions
papers and Clinical Liaison’s patient evaluation and distributes to
• Orients patients and family member or caregivers as follows:
Explains all registration forms, rules and procedures to patient
and or family in a manner appropriate to the individual(s). Makes
family and patient aware of non-covered services and items,
co-insurance, co-payments, and deductibles not covered by
insurance. Explains patient visiting hours and makes family feel
welcome and comfortable. Discusses family concerns and instructs
family on resources for assistance during the hospital stay.
Assists patients in completing orientation paperwork prior to
• Updates missing information when patient registers and verifies
accuracy of patient billing information.
• Verifies insurance benefits; follows Verification of Benefits
Policy & Procedure. For unfunded or under-funded patients, follows
the Charity Care Policy & Procedure; obtains pre-certification when
• Registers patients in HMS and completes paperwork. In HMS system,
pre-registers patient based on information provided in the
pre-admissions assessment or by family, patient, referral
• Obtains copies of all insurance cards and calculates amount
patient payment responsibilities, other than insurance covered
service; collects co-payments as appropriate.
• Assigns room and bed numbers and generates paperwork for chart,
ID bracelet, and data cards for admission; makes patient folder for
business office for use at discharge and forwards to business
• Accurately enters transfers and discharges into system/databases
for daily reports
• Maintains daily census, bed board, referral log, denial log, and
medical transfer log.
• Remains current on managed care and other insurance contracts
held by Post Acute Medical; collects co-payment, as appropriate,
and counsels patients on financial responsibility; assures the
accuracy, completeness, and timelines of charge capture, per
system, facility/department policies and procedures.
• Accepts patient valuables; has valuables placed in safe and
documents placed into patient folder.
• Works as a team
player with other staff to facilitate the smooth operation of the
• Maintains referral log to create the following reports: monthly
referral admit report, physician referral report.
• Ensures that proper documentation is sent to all necessary
departments prior to patient admission.
• Participates in in-service educational activities and department
Education and Training: A
High School diploma or equivalent is required. Business or
Technical School is preferred. Medical terminology and knowledge of
process of insurance verification is required.
Experience: At least one
year experience in a medical office position or in a healthcare
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to input data accurately using various computer software
• Ability to accurately complete financial calculations.
• Demonstrates excellent customer services and listening skills to
understand customer needs.
• Must exhibit attributes of a strong role model to establish
relationships and work well with managers, referral sources,
physicians, and staff to promote a positive attitude and
• Excellent proofreading and grammar skills.
• Must have a good command of the English language.
• Highly organized and detail-oriented.
• Must be able to acquire and demonstrate knowledge of services and
Post Acute’s system programs and offerings (e.g., types of
inpatient and outpatient services and facility locations).
• Must be able to remain calm and level-headed in a fast-paced,
multi-faceted environment with frequent interruptions.
• Ability to follow directions accurately and timely, meet
deadlines, identify priorities and understand the need to be
flexible in his/her work schedule to accommodate patient needs,
i.e. to complete the registration process if approaching end of
• Ability to acquire knowledge of state, federal and other
regulatory agencies related to facility and patient care.
• Ability to follow through on issues related to insurance
verification/approval of benefits.