CERTIFIED SURGICAL TECHNICIAN
Company: Family Hospital Systems
Location: Round Rock
Posted on: August 5, 2022
Job DescriptionWe began with one facility and one vision and
have grown into Family Hospital Systems (FHS). With the
ever-changing climate of the health care industry, we will always
be growing. As a company we still see opportunity to bring new
resources, treatments, and personalized care for our patients.
Family Hospital Systems is a fun work environment, and we are
looking for dedicated team members to support our internal company
growth and organizational goals.
COME JOIN OUR TEAM!
We are looking for an experienced Surgical Tech to join our Team!
Full Time opening available at Brushy Creek Family Hospital.
- Graduate of an accredited Surgical Technology program
- One-year experience in an operating room setting in a hospital
or ASC. Spine experience preferred Certification/Licensure:
- Graduate of an accredited Surgical Technology program as
required per facility practice and state regulatory requirement;
- Valid BLS Certification upon employment***online certification
not acceptable. Operational Duties Include, but are not limited to:
- Demonstrates necessary practical, technical or specialized
knowledge and skills required for the role of the surgical
technician in accordance with AST (Association of Surgical
Technologist) and other regulatory standards of practice.
- Demonstrates basic knowledge and understanding of surgical
procedures to enable proper performance of scrub duties and to
anticipate the needs of the surgeon.
- Assists in preparing the operative suite for surgery by
checking and gathering supplies, equipment, and instruments.
- Ensures availability of adequate supplies, equipment and
instruments for scheduled cases and assists in opening cases in a
- Utilizes physician preference cards to set up each case;
updates cards when indicated, and routing updated cards in the
- Ensures that instruments are working properly before and after
- Assists with patient positioning, skin preparation, and
surgical draping according to surgeon's protocol.
- Assists the surgeon during a surgical procedure with a high
degree of efficiency, anticipating surgeon's and patient needs
during the case.
- Assists with application of dressing splints, and casts, as
- Conscientiously observes and reports any breaks in sterile
technique to attending surgeon and RN circulator.
- Ensures that surgical asepsis is maintained in the handling of
instruments, sponges, sutures, drains, needles, and dressings.
- Ensures accurate sponge, needle, and instrument counts are
completed when indicated and prior to patient leaving the OR.
- Remove drapes at the completion of procedure and assist with
preparing patient for transfer to the PACU staff to ensure
continuity of care.
- Facilitates effective and efficient transition between surgical
- Assists in the turnover of the O.R. suites between cases,
disposing of trash and linens, and cleaning of equipment and
environmental surfaces, as required.
- Utilizes preference cards and updates them, as necessary.
- Utilizes appropriate body mechanics in moving patients,
stretchers, and OR tables and other equipment to prevent injury to
patient and self.
- Participates in detailed time out process and ensures it is
done according to policy.
- Assists in the maintenance and care of specimens. Identifies
specimen with surgeon and passes specimen to the circulating RN.
Verifies correcting labeling, as per policy.
- Recognizes emergency situations and responds effectively in a
calm and controlled manner.
- Assists circulating nurse during local procedures as
- Adheres to Standard Precautions.
- Utilizes Personal Protective Equipment, as per policy.
- Remains aware of safety precautions required to minimize the
possibility of patient injuries e.g. Prevention of Surgical
- Handles instruments and supplies during and after procedure to
minimize injury to self and others.
- Demonstrates knowledge related to maintenance, cleanliness, and
sterilization of instruments and equipment. Maintains a sanitary
environment for the provision of patient care.
- Appropriately handles the disposal of biohazardous
- Restocks area daily, using appropriate par levels and daily
- Checks for outdated sterile supplies and instruments and
assists with reprocessing as needed.
- Prepares procedure room for use the following day by bringing
in equipment, setting up, "pulling cases" accurately, and reporting
to supervisor items that are needed and not available.
- Spends appropriate time and energy on tasks and assignments
based on the policies that are supportive of the Center's goals and
- Functions independently according to job responsibilities and
within scope of practice utilizing current standards of care.
- Takes personal initiative to maintain current BCLS, and other
required certification (if indicated) current as defined by job
- Uses facility resources appropriately and avoids wasteful
- Attends all mandatory in-services, staff meetings, and
participates in emergency drills.
- Participates in the orientation of new employees.
- Completes annual competency and other required education as
- Maintains confidentiality of records and patient information at
- Practices and adheres to the "Code of Conduct" philosophy and
"Mission and Value Statement".
- While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the
current Position, it is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working
conditions associated with the job. Management reserves the right
to revise the Position or require that other or different tasks be
performed when circumstances warrant (i.e. emergencies, changes in
personnel or staffing, workload, rush jobs, or technical
developments). Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Maintains current knowledge of surgical procedures and
- Ability to identify and select instruments and equipment
necessary for surgical procedures and appropriately interpret
information on preference cards.
- Knowledge of current practice related to hand hygiene, aseptic
and sterile technique.
- Knowledge of current practice of decontamination, high level
disinfectant and sterilization procedures.
- Demonstrates attention to detail by ensuring that all
documentation is legible, complete, accurate, and factual.
- Maintains current knowledge of advances in operating room
- Knowledge of organizational policies, procedures, systems and
- Has knowledge of patient rights and strives to improve patient
outcomes by respecting each patient's cultural, psychosocial, and
- Knowledge of applicable regulatory, compliance, and
accreditation standards and requirements.
- Possesses critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrates a willingness to listen to others and openly
expresses respect for differing opinions.
- Demonstrates leadership, effective organizing, and planning
- Effective problem solving skills to include data analysis and
judgment to make effective decisions.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- High Impact Communication - Effective oral and written
- Computer Skills – Knowledge and basic use of computer
- Maintains high level of confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to build trust and gain respect through effective team
leadership and participation skills.Physical Demands/Working
- Work hours are variable based on patient care needs;
- Ability to sit and stand for prolong periods of time, ability
to walk, some bending, stooping and stretching;
- Capability for overhead and low reaching activities;
- Requires hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity sufficient
to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, and occasional use
of other office equipment;
- Requires normal range of hearing/eyesight/voice projection to
record, prepare, and communicate appropriately;
- Physical strength for equipment needs and patient care
activities; may require frequent lifting/moving up to 50 pounds and
occasional lifting/moving in excess of 50 pounds;
- Ability to move quickly in response to patient needs;
- Ability to make constant/frequent judgment/response to
- Exposure to noisy equipment;
- Subject to varying and unpredictable situations, high
stress/pressure, handles emergency or crisis situations, regular
interaction with emotional patients and/or family members;
- Work is performed in a patient care setting and may involve
exposure to infections, communicable diseases and hazardous
materials, radiation/laser, waste gases and blood and body fluids.
Frequent exposure to water and chemicals used in
disinfection/sterilization process. Company Specific:
- Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean and wears
appropriate identification while on duty.
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient and/or employee
information to assure patient and/or employee rights are
- Reports to work on time as scheduled; adheres to policies
regarding notification of absence.
- Attends all mandatory in-services and staff meetings.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional
- Complies with all policies regarding ethical business
- Communicates the mission, ethics, and goals of the center.
- Consistently demonstrates Guest Relation's skills to patients,
physicians, visitors, employees, and any other individuals with
whom they may come in contact.
- Complies with relevant regulations and standards and policies
governing safe workplace environment (OSHA, etc).
Keywords: Family Hospital Systems, Round Rock , CERTIFIED SURGICAL TECHNICIAN, Professions , Round Rock, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!